Voulisma Beach - Agios Nikolaos

SUSTAINABILITY Beach Rating

ippo3

The beach

Voulisma is the second of the three bays of Istron village. Istron village is close to Kalo Chorio and is about 12 km east of Agios Nikolaos and 22 km north of Ierapetra. Approximately 500 meters east of Kalo Chorio is located Voulisma beach or Golden Beach. Its length is about 700 meters and is the largest beach of Kalo Chorio.

Voulisma beach has white clean sand and deep turquoise waters. Sea is quite shallow, suitable for leisure, beach and water games, as the water is pleasantly warm. It is organized, but it’s characterized by mild interference.

It is easily accessible, as it is located on the main road, which it has also parking space. In the surrounding area of the beach there are no industries. The whole area near Voulisma Beach is accordingly considered as tourist resort with a lot of hotels and apartments.

Questionnaire / Fragebogen

united kingdom
germany
greece

map

BEACH FACILITIES

ORGANIZED
WC
PARKING
LIFEGUARD
SHOWER
BLUE FLAG
ORGANIZED
WC
PARKING
LIFEGUARD
SHOWER
BLUE FLAG

BEACH PHOTO GALLERY

BEACH INFORMATION

Municipality of Agios Nikolaos

The Municipality of Agios Nikolaos is one of the most beautiful municipalities of the Region of Crete and is the capital of Lasithi Prefecture. The extent of the municipality is 511.99 m2. Part of the municipality of Agios Nikolaos are the communities of Kritsa, Elounda, Limnes, Kalo Chorio, Vrouchas, Skinias, Louma, Zenia, Exo Potamion, Kroustas, Exo Lakonia, Mesa Lakonia, Prina, Neapolis and Vrahassi. Capital of the new Municipality of Agios Nikolaos is the city of Agios Nikolaos while the historic capital of the Municipality is Neapolis.

In ancient years the city of “Lato pros Kamara” flourished, which was situated upon the current town of Agios Nikolaos. It was placed on the hill between the lake and the marina, but only a few findings have survived from this ancient city. The city “Lato pros Kamara” was the port of the major Dorian city Lato (Lato or Etera) near Kritsa village (10 km. South of Agios Nikolaos).

In 1206 Henry Pescatore, a Genovese pirate, built a fortress on the top of the hill, where the building of Prefecture stands today. The fortress was named Mirabello, due to the unique view to the entire bay. This fortress should have been really impressive, as the whole Province of Agios Nikolaos received the name Mirabello. Inside the fortress, there was a salt warehouse, where was carefully stored the valuable product from the salt marshes of Elounda.

Agios Nikolaos is not an old name and the name of the city comes from the name of the nave church with a dome at the small Ammoudi peninsula, across from the coastal road.

In the 1960s Agios Nikolaos became the first tourism destination in Crete, earlier than the other areas of Crete, and the first major hotel had shortly opened in 1965. Still today Agios Nikolaos receives thousands of tourists every summer, as well as Elounda and Plaka in the north and Istro and Kalo Chorio in the south of Municipality.

The rest of the villages that are located in the hills and the mountains around Agios Nikolaos remain virtually untouched by tourism and they can offer to the visitors the opportunity to get a picture of real life in Crete.

The Mirabello fortress faced several disasters, an earthquake in 1303 and a pirate capture in 1537, but it was always rebuilt. The final destruction of it was in the 17th AD century, when the Ottomans besieged it and conquered it after betrayal.

The early years of the Turkish conquest, Mirabello continued to be inhabited and was also the seat of the Province, but gradually it was deserted and there are a lot of reports of the complete abandonment of the city, but the port was still continued to be used for the exportation of the local products, mostly the locust. It is reported that the products were primarily collected in open areas, even within the four churches of Agios Nikolaos that were existed in that time, because there weren’t any warehouses.

At the end of the Ottoman rule and right after the Greek revolution of 1866, Agios Nikolaos inhabited again. The residents of Kritsa, some villagers from Sfakia and those who had engaged in shipping in eastern Crete, settled in the dilapidated village of Mandraki, which in the latest years developed into today’s city of Agios Nikolaos.

The current city of Agios Nikolaos is built on the ancient Lato Kamara. From that time of period several statues, inscriptions and many tombs in the river region have been found. The offerings of the tombs, many of which are really interesting, exhibited at the Archaeological Museum of the city.

The monument of Spinalonga (fortified island) presents particular interest, which was used as a leper colony in the past. Particular interest also presents the cornucopia, a sculpture that had been made by the local artist’s brothers Sotiriadi and it was erected in a stone terrace by the sea. Moreover, in Elounda are located integers the well-known windmills. In Elounda’s “Channel” are saved three circle windmills, so their type is “round” or “xetrocharis”. The windmill was built in the early century.

Characteristics of the beach

Voulisma is the second of the three bays of Istron village. Istron village is close to Kalo Chorio and is about 12 km east of Agios Nikolaos and 22 km north of Ierapetra. Approximately 500 meters east of Kalo Chorio is located Voulisma beach or Golden Beach. Its length is about 700 meters and is the largest beach of Kalo Chorio.

Voulisma beach has white clean sand and deep turquoise waters. Sea is quite shallow, suitable for leisure, beach and water games, as the water is pleasantly warm. It is organized, but it’s characterized by mild interference.

It is easily accessible, as it is located on the main road, which it has also parking space. In the surrounding area of the beach there are no industries. The whole area near Voulisma Beach is accordingly considered as tourist resort with a lot of hotels and apartments.

The beach is located on a fertile valley, with abundant water, lush citrus, vines, olive trees and big agricultural areas, while close to the beach is a major dense pine forest.

Close to Voulisma Beach there are unexplored archaeological sites, such as in the “Varykastro”, etc.

There are a lot of legends and traditions for the region. One of those is that in the end of the village, there is a fountain which is flowing running water throughout the year. Suddenly, one day it was dried up. The residents, which were very devout, were yielded this phenomenon to a neighbor’s related dream that he had seen about the unjustified delay of the ruined church of Metamorfosis (Transfiguration) reconstruction. So, they were started the renovation of the church again and it was completed almost instantly. Right after that, the villagers called the Bishop of Petra Meletios Chlapoutakis (1855-1889), to inaugurate the chapel. Miraculously, when he sanctified the tap spout, it started running again, just like before and it is flowing till today.

The distance of the beach:

From International Airport Nikos Kazantzakis of Heraklion is about 70,4 Km.

From the center of Agios Nikolaos City is about 12 Km.

From the Archaeological Museum of Agios Nikolaos is about 13 Km.

From the traditional village Kalo Chorio is about 500 m.

Beach Regulation

General matters:

The opening hours of the beach are from 10:30 to 17:30.

If you have any questions ask the beach staff

For any complaints complete the special form at the entrance

To help us increase the quality of the services provided please complete the relevant questionnaire which you can find at the reception or in our website www.costanostrum.org or by downloading the relevant application Costa Nostrum.

The ashtrays, the beach chairs and the umbrellas are property of the Managing Authority of Voulsima Beach.

Only the guests – owners of valuable objects that may be lost, are responsible for the loss.

Hygiene and Safety, Environmental Protection and Cleanliness of the Beach

You should always follow the advice of the lifeguards.

Swim parallel to the coastline and if possible never alone.

It is prohibited to block the lifeguard’s corridor and the range of vision of the lifeguard.

The consumption of alcohol or drugs is prohibited.

It is prohibited to throw cigarettes into the sea or on the beach.

It is prohibited to throw glass objects or packaging on the beach or into the sea.

It is prohibited to throw any object on the beach or into the sea.

It is prohibited to light a fire.

It is prohibited to use shampoo at the showers.

It is prohibited to use music devices that produce loud noise.

All your rubbish should be placed with your own responsibility into the special waste containers.

It is prohibited to destroy any kind of vegetation.

It is prohibited to walk in areas where swimmers are not allowed to enter, according to the existing prohibition signs.

It is prohibited to stay on the lifeguard’s tower without a relevant permission.

The beach staff has the right to remove from the beach persons who are in a drunken condition or under the influence of drugs or behave violently/improperly to other visitors.

It is prohibited to take sand.

Emergency cases:

In case of a person disappearance, you should immediately contact the beach manager.

In case of a beach closure, please follow the instructions of the manager and lifeguards.

In case of an accident, you should immediately inform the lifeguard and the beach manager.

If a customer falls sick due to any possible cause, they are to immediately notify the beach manager, in order for all necessary measures to be taken.